Bulletin2020-2021Table of ContentsThe Seal 3Mission 4History 7Campus 10Trustees, Administration, Staff 13Faculty 15Academic Policies and Procedures 25Constantin College of Liberal Arts 37Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business (Undergraduate) 43Campus Life 44Undergraduate Enrollment 53Fees and Expenses 60Undergraduate Scholarships and Financial Aid 68Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science Degrees 73Course Descriptions by Department 77Additional Programming:Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library 287Rome and Summer Programs 288Braniff Graduate School of Liberal Arts 293The Institute of Philosophic Studies Doctoral Program 302Braniff Graduate Master's Programs 318Ann & Joe O. Neuhoff School of Ministry 381The Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business (Graduate Programs) 402The Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business Calendar 445Undergraduate, Braniff Graduate School, and Neuhoff School of MinistryCalendar 447Index 452Campus Map 456University of Dallas, 1845 East Northgate Drive, Irving, Texas 75062-4736General Office Hours: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Fridaywww.udallas.eduMain Phone. (972) 721-5000, Fax: (972) 721-5017Braniff Graduate School of Liberal Arts.(972) 721-5106Business Office.(972) 721-5144Constantin College of Liberal Arts.(972) 721-5108Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business (Undergraduate).(972) 721-5303Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business (Graduate).(972) 721-5004Registrar.(972) 721-5221Rome Program.(972) 721-5206Ann & Joe O. Neuhoff School of Ministry.(972) 721-4118Special Assistance.(972) 721-5056Undergraduate Admission & Financial Aid.(972) 721-5266
THE SEAL3The SealThe seal of the University of Dallas is emblematic of the ideals to which the universityis dedicated. It is likewise reminiscent of the deposit of faith of the Roman CatholicChurch and of the traditions of two teaching communities within the Church.The decorative outer circle indicates the date the university was chartered andthe motto, "Veritatem, Justitiam Diligite." The quotation "Love Ye Truth and Justice," aconflation of Zechariah 8.8 and 8.19, expresses the biblical message that truth andjustice are the necessary conditions for peace, prosperity and happiness. This wiseinstruction has also been discovered by reason and confirmed by history. This foundingconviction of the University of Dallas continues to inform all that UD aspires to do.Enclosed within the blue band which bears the motto, in an octagonal fieldof green, are several emblems associated with the traditions of the university. Thecentral figure of the triquetra interwoven with the triangle is a double symbol of theHoly Trinity to Whom the university is dedicated. The circle is a symbol of eternityand of the unity of the Godhead.The fleur-de-lis, at once an ancient symbol of the Blessed Virgin Mary andof France, recalls the direct and indirect French origins of the two teaching orderswhich cooperated initially with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas-Fort Worth inestablishing the University of Dallas. The Cistercian Order originated in France inthe Eleventh Century; the Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Mary of Namur wasfounded in Belgium in 1819 by a Cistercian Monk.A crusader’s shield, emblematic of faith, stands within the green field on eitherside of the central device. The shield on the left contains a star, a traditional emblemof Mary, as well as the chosen emblem of Texas, the Lone Star State. The shield onthe right presents the torch of liberty and learning. The branches of live oak andolive trees, taken from the Seal of Texas, make further reference to the State.The Trinity River, on which the university is located, is represented by the heraldic device of the wavy lines centered beneath the emblem of the Blessed Trinity.A mosaic of the Seal hangs in the J.M. Haggar, Sr., University Center foyer completed by art alumnus Xavier Zamarripa, was commissioned by the Class of 2002.A new mosaic rendition of the Seal, created by art history alumna Julie Richey, wascommissioned by the Class of 2018 and Dr. and Mrs. Brannon Marlowe, hangs inthe Cardinal Farrell Hall foyer.
4UNIVERSITY OF DALL ASMissionThe University of Dallas is dedicated to the pursuit of wisdom, of truth and of virtueas the proper and primary ends of education. The university seeks to educate itsstudents so they may develop the intellectual and moral virtues, prepare themselvesfor life and work in a problematic and changing world and become leaders ableto act responsibly for their own good and for the good of their family, community,country and church.The university understands human nature to be spiritual and physical, rational andfree. It is guided by principles of learning that acknowledge transcendent standardsof truth and excellence that are themselves the object of search in an education.The university is especially dedicated to the pursuit of liberal education in bothits undergraduate and graduate programs. In its liberal arts programs the universityis committed to the recovery and renewal of the Western heritage of liberal education. The university is equally committed to providing professional programs at thegraduate level. Its professional programs, in a common spirit with the university’sliberal arts programs, are dedicated to reflecting critically upon the ends governingone’s own profession, to fostering principled, moral judgment and to providing theknowledge and skills requisite for professional excellence. Whether professional orliberal, the university is “convinced of the priority of the ethical over the technical,of the primacy of persons over things, of the superiority of the spirit over matter.”1The university seeks to offer those graduate and undergraduate programs that willaddress important needs of society and that can be offered in a manner consistentwith the university’s primary institutional commitments.The university as a whole is shaped by the long tradition of Catholic learningand acknowledges its commitment to the Catholic Church and its teaching. Theuniversity is dedicated to the recovery of the Christian intellectual tradition and to therenewal of Catholic theology in fidelity to the Church and in constructive dialoguewith the modern world. It seeks to maintain the dialogue of faith and reason in itscurriculum and programs without violating the proper autonomy of each of the artsand sciences. The university is open to faculty and students of all denominations andit supports their academic and religious freedom. It thus seeks to provide an academicand collegial community which will help students acquire a mature understandingof their faith, develop their spiritual lives and prepare themselves for their calling asmen and women of faith in the world.The Constantin College of Liberal ArtsThe Constantin College of Liberal Arts seeks to educate students of seriousness,intelligence and spirit in accordance with the fundamental mission of the Universityof Dallas—so they may develop the intellectual and moral virtues which will preparethem for life and work in a changing and problematic world, achieve a mature understanding of their faith and become men and women who act responsibly for theirown good and the good of their family, community, country and church.The specific mission of the Constantin College is to provide undergraduateeducation through baccalaureate degree programs which include a substantial andcoherent core curriculum common to all undergraduates and major studies in thehumanities and sciences proper to liberal learning. The core curriculum emphasizesthe study of the great deeds and works of Western civilization, both ancient andmodern. The majors are built upon the core and invite students to disciplined inquiryinto fundamental aspects of being and of our relation to God, to nature and to fel1. John Paul II, Ex Corde Ecclesiae, Apostolic Constitution of Catholic Universities, n. 18.
MISSION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF DALL AS5low human beings. The curriculum as a whole seeks to enable students to achievethe knowledge of nature and the understanding of the human condition necessaryfor them to comprehend the fundamental character of the world in which they arecalled to live and work.The College also offers programs through which students may take a responsible part in the rich and varied life of the campus and the surrounding community.The undergraduate programs as a whole provide a basis for students to achievea meaningful and fulfilling life’s work whether through immediate career entry orthrough further education in graduate and professional schools.The Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of BusinessThe Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business prepares its students to becomeprincipled and moral leaders who are ethical and effective decision-makers. At theundergraduate level, in accordance with the pursuit of liberal education, the GuptaCollege of Business builds a foundation for the students' life-long development ofmoral, intellectual, and professional capabilities. At the master’s level, it equipsstudents with the knowledge, skills, and ethical principles essential to accomplishingtheir professional objectives. At the doctoral level, it equips experienced professionalswith analytical and applied research skills to solve problems facing organizationsand lead change ethically.Braniff Graduate SchoolThe Liberal Arts division of the Braniff Graduate School seeks to accomplish at thehighest level the university’s commitment to the revival of the Western heritage ofliberal education, the recovery of the Christian intellectual tradition and the renewalof Catholic theology in fidelity to the Church and in constructive dialogue with themodern world. Its specific purpose is to offer selected master’s and doctoral programsin the liberal arts which recall these disciplines to their first principles and which willprepare students for careers in a variety of fields. These programs seek to enablestudents to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for work in particular fieldsand to understand the principles of learning and the virtues of mind and heart whichare constitutive of excellence in their life’s work.Ann & Joe O. Neuhoff School of MinistryThe mission of the Ann & Joe O. Neuhoff School of Ministry is to provide theological education for transformative service. Neuhoff School of Ministry students,immersed in the Catholic theological tradition, develop critical skills for theologicalreflection and receive high quality education and formation that is necessary forpersonal growth, professional ministry and transformative service to the CatholicChurch, the broader Christian community and the wider world. The Neuhoff Schoolof Ministry offers practice-oriented programs of theological studies and pastoralministry including degrees, certificates, conferences, ongoing seminars, lecturesand continuing education.The mission of the undergraduate program is to give students the benefits ofa liberal education while at the same time preparing them for pastoral ministry inthe Church, in accord with the standards set by the U.S. Conference of CatholicBishops Commission on Certification and Accreditation (USCCB/CCA) and theNational Certification Standards for Pastoral Ministers. The mission of the graduateprogram is to offer practice-oriented theological education specific to a wide varietyof ministries within and outside the Church, in accord with the USCCB/CCA stan-
6universiTY of dall asdards for lay ecclesial ministers. The mission of the continuing education programsis to give adults that theological education and formation that is necessary for anacademically credible faith life in the context of the modern world.The Cowan-Blakley Memorial LibraryThe mission of the Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library is to promote and facilitatescholarly engagement by providing access to both traditional and innovative resources, creating adaptive spaces, and cultivating excellence in teaching, learning,and research. In service to the mission of the University of Dallas, the library supportsa diverse intellectual community in its pursuit of wisdom, truth, and virtue.
HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF DALL AS7HistoryThe charter of the University of Dallas dates from 1910 when the Vincentian Fathers took that name for the Holy Trinity College they had founded five years earlier.Holy Trinity closed in 1928 and the charter was placed with the Catholic Dioceseof Dallas. In 1955 the Sisters of Saint Mary of Namur obtained it for the purposeof operating a new institution in Dallas that would absorb their junior college inFort Worth, Our Lady of Victory. The Sisters, together with laymen who directed thedrive for funds, Eugene Constantin, Jr. and Edward R. Maher, Sr., induced BishopThomas K. Gorman to have the diocese assume sponsorship of the new institutionwith ownership by its Board of Trustees.Bishop Gorman announced that the University of Dallas would be a four-yearcoeducational institution welcoming students of all faiths and races and offering workon the undergraduate level with a graduate school to be added as soon as practicable.The new University of Dallas opened its doors to 96 degree-seeking students inSeptember 1956, on a thousand-acre tract of rolling hills located northwest of thecity of Dallas, now part of Irving/Las Colinas.The first president, F. Kenneth Brasted, served until 1959; the second, RobertMorris, from 1960 to 1962; and the third, Donald A. Cowan, from 1962 until 1977.In 1976, Bryan F. Smith was appointed Chancellor to assist Dr. Cowan and to overseethe university until the next president, Dr. John R. Sommerfeldt, was appointed in1978. Dr. Sommerfeldt returned to full-time teaching and research in 1980. During the search for his successor, Dr. Svetozar Pejovich served as acting president.In July 1981, Dr. Robert F. Sasseen became the fifth president of the university. InDecember of 1995 Dr. Sasseen returned to teaching. Monsignor Milam J. Josephwas named the sixth president of the university in October of 1996 and served untilDecember of 2003. Robert Galecke, senior vice-president for Finance and Administration served as interim president until July 2004, when Dr. Francis Lazarus tookoffice as the seventh president of the university. When Dr. Lazarus retired in August2009, Galecke again assumed the position of interim president. Thomas W. Keefebecame the university’s eighth president on March 1, 2010 and served until May2018. Dr. John Plotts served as the Interim President until July 1, 2019 when Dr.Thomas S. Hibbs, B.A. ‘82, M.A. ’84, became the university’s ninth president andits first alumni president.Members of the Cistercian Order and the Sisters of Saint Mary of Namur, together with three Franciscan fathers and a number of laymen, comprised the originalfaculty of the University of Dallas. The Franciscan fathers departed after three years.Dominican priests joined the faculty in 1958 and established the Albert the GreatPriory. The School Sisters of Notre Dame came in 1962. The Cistercians now have apermanent abbey, church and a college preparatory school for boys adjacent to themain campus. Cistercian faculty continue to play an important part in the academiclife of the university. Recently, Dominican Sisters of the St. Cecilia Congregation ofNashville have graced the classrooms and corridors.Over time, the faculty has become largely lay of many faiths and counts numerous distinguished scholars among its members. Accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools came in 1963 and was reaffirmed in 1973, 1984,1994, 2004 and 2014. In November of 1996 the university was the first institutionto be accredited by the American Academy of Liberal Education, an associationwhich recognizes outstanding liberal arts institutions. Significant honors have beenwon by university graduates since the first class in 1960, which earned Fulbrightand Woodrow Wilson awards for graduate studies.
8UNIVERSITY OF DALL ASHis Excellency Thomas Tschoepe succeeded Bishop Gorman and served asgrand chancellor of the university until his retirement as Bishop in 1990 when BishopCharles Grahmann, his successor, assumed this position. In 2007, Kevin Farrell wasappointed Bishop of Dallas and Grand Chancellor following Bishop Grahmann’sretirement. In 2016, His Excellency Edward J. Burns was appointed Bishop of Dallasafter the elevation of Bishop Farrell to the cardinalate. Bishop Burns now serves asgrand chancellor of the university.A gift of seven and one half million dollars from the Blakley-Braniff Foundationestablished the Braniff Graduate School in 1966 and allowed the construction ofthe Braniff Graduate Center, Tower and Mall. The Constantin Foundation similarlyendowed the undergraduate college with gifts in 1967 and 1969. In 1970 the Boardof Trustees named the undergraduate college the Constantin College of Liberal Arts.Gorman Lecture Center and the Maher Athletic Center were completed in 1965.A legacy from the estate of Mrs. John B. O’Hara established the Summer ScienceInstitute in 1973.Holy Trinity Seminary was founded in 1965 and occupied its present facilitiesadjacent to the main campus in 1967. The Graduate School of Management (nowthe Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business) began in 1966, with one of the firstexperiential practice-based Master of Business Administration programs for workingprofessionals. The Graduate School of Management transitioned into the Collegeof Business in 2003 when it incorporated graduate and undergraduate businessprograms. In 2014, the Doctor of Business Administration was launched. It is thefirst and only AACSB accredited DBA program in Texas. Influential graduate programs in Art and English also began in 1966. In 1973, the Institute of PhilosophicStudies, the doctoral program of the Braniff Graduate School and an outgrowth ofthe Kendall Politics and Literature Program, was initiated. The Institute for Religiousand Pastoral Studies began in 1987, it became the School of Ministry in 2007, andwas named the Ann & Joe O. Neuhoff School of Ministry in 2016.In 1975 the University Center was doubled in size and named for J.M. Haggar,Sr., and an addition was made to the Haggerty Art Center. The University Apartments,a facility for upper division students, opened in 1980. 1985 saw the completion ofthe Patrick E. Haggerty Science Center and the Chapel of the Incarnation. A chapterof Phi Beta Kappa, the prestigious honor society, was granted in 1989. In 1992,Anselm Hall, the first dormitory, was renovated, and the Fr. Thomas Cain courtyardadjoining it was dedicated.On June 11, 1994, the university dedicated permanent facilities for its RomeProgram begun in 1970. The 12-acre Constantin Campus, Due Santi, near Albano,Italy, is 20 kilometers from the heart of Rome.The dormitory renovation program continued and 1998 saw the addition of ahandsome baseball field. In 2000 major additions to the Haggerty Art Village werecompleted, and the east side of campus was redeveloped. In 2002, a women’ssoftball complex was added and a new Dominican Priory facility opened. Renovationof and addition to the Maher Athletic Center was completed in 2003. In January2010, Clark Hall, a new 298-bed residence hall, opened on the west side of campus.In 2006 the university completed an 18-month series of events celebrating its50th Anniversary. The Anniversary Gala, September 22, 2006, welcomed over 1,000alumni, faculty and donors to celebrate the opening of the university, virtually 50years from the actual date, September 24, 1956.The College of Business earned accreditation from the Association to AdvanceCollegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) on December 28, 2012. Amulti-million dollar gift in November 2013, from graduate business alumni Satish andYasmin Gupta, funded the construction of SB Hall, completed in 2016, a university
HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF DALL AS9academic building that houses the Gupta College of Business faculty and staff andprovides classrooms and meeting spaces for the entire university. The college wasnamed the Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business in their honor.Cardinal Farrell Hall opened in January of 2018 and was dedicated on February 2. It houses a one-stop student services area, state-of-the-art classrooms, andadministrative offices. In cooperation with Solar Soccer, a new soccer field andpractice field with lights were inaugurated in the fall of 2018.Today the university enrolls over 2,500 students from all over the United Statesand the world, divided roughly into 1,400 full-time undergraduates; 800 largelypart-time graduate business students; and over 300 students in the Braniff LiberalArts and Neuhoff School of Ministry programs.
10UNIVERSITY OF DALL ASCampusFrom the campus of the university, one of the highest points in the area, the skylineof Dallas dominates the view.The University of Dallas is located in Irving, Texas, a city of almost 250,000residents, on the northwest boundary of the city of Dallas. In the center of themetroplex, the campus is ten miles from the Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Airport,15 minutes from downtown Dallas and 40 minutes from Fort Worth. L.B. HoustonNature Preserve, along the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, forms part of the easternboundary of the campus.The major portion of the campus is situated around the Braniff Mall, a gathering place for the university community. The symbol and landmark for the universityis the Braniff Memorial Tower. The primary architectural inspiration for the campuscomes from the renowned mid-century modern Texas architect, O’Neil Ford, andhis successors Duane and Jane Landry, who are responsible for the design of themajority of the important buildings on the campus.Academic, Administration and Student Affairs BuildingsAnselm Hall (1956) houses Modern Languages and Classics faculty and administrative offices with classrooms on the second floor.John W. Carpenter Hall (1956), the original classroom building, served theuniversity faithfully for over sixty years, housing classrooms, the library, laboratories,and offices for faculty, staff and administration. It was decommissioned in the springof 2018.Lynch Hall (1956), named for Joseph Patrick Lynch, Bishop of the diocese from1911-1954, was a multi-purpose amphitheatre-style lecture hall and the home of theStudent Government Movie Series and other extracurricular concerts and lectures.It was torn down in February 2016 to make room for Cardinal Farrell Hall, whoseground-breaking took place in August 2016.The Haggerty Art Village (1960, 2001) is a complex of five buildings situatedin the trees on the northeast side of campus. The first building, designed by O’NeilFord, was completed in 1960. Subsequent structures have been designed by Landryand Landry and Gary Cunningham. The complex includes instructional studios,galleries, classrooms and ample public spaces. It was completed in 2000-2001.The Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library (1962) previously the William A. BlakleyLibrary, was renamed and rededicated in 2016 in memory of Drs. Donald and LouiseCowan, and the former Senator William A. Blakley, all of whom had a significantimpact on the history of the University. The Library provides access to over 320,000volumes, more than 120 databases, and over 63,000 full-text publications online.The library is open more than 98 hours per week to serve university students, faculty,and staff. Reference services, including individual and group instruction, real-timechat, and SMS text services are available during select hours. Within the library, theBlakley Research and Information Center (BRIC) is a 20-station computer lab usedfor library instruction, and is available as an open lab all other times during regularoperating hours. The library contains several group study rooms that are availablefor advanced booking. The library’s website, www.udallas.edu/library, containsthe online catalog and electronic resources including online journals and e-books.Interlibrary loan services are available for requesting materials not owned by thelibrary. The collections of materials for general reading, serious study, and researchreflect the university’s interest and emphasis on academic excellence.In 2001 the university established a History/Archives Center to begin preparing for its 50th anniversary in 2006. The Center is located in the lower level of the
CAMPUS11Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library and entered from the Haggar Circle area across fromthe Haggerty Art Village. It serves as both a mini-museum and archive. Collectionsof papers, photographs and audio-visual materials pertaining to the university havebeen and are being organized through staff and volunteer help and are available forin-person research. Consult the Library and Alumni websites for complete listings.Catherine Hall (1965) houses the Neuhoff School of Ministry, the DramaDepartment’s Costume Shop and the Music Department.The Gorman Lecture Center (1965) is named for the founding Bishop of theuniversity, Thomas K. Gorman. Completed in 1965, it contains a variety of instructional areas and social spaces.The Braniff Graduate Building (1966), a gift from the Blakley-Braniff Foundation in memory of the founder of Braniff International Airways, contains classrooms,seminar rooms and offices for the graduate faculty and administration and providesspace for the collections of the University Library.The Braniff Memorial Tower (1966), at the south end of the mall opposite theBraniff Graduate Building, rises 188 feet above the campus. The Tower is a memorialto Tom and Bess Braniff. It serves as a landmark and as a symbol of the university.The Braniff Tower houses four bronze bells, The Cowan Bells. A gift of the KingFoundation, the bells are named in honor of Donald A. Cowan, president of theuniversity (1962-1977) and Louise S. Cowan, professor of English, who designed theliterary tradition sequence. Dr. Cowan named the bells. The "F" bell, the great bell,is named for St. Columba, who as priest and poet wedded the old tradition with thenew in Ireland and whose voice is said to have "boomed from the mountains." St.Agatha, who, in her martyrdom, became the patroness of bells, carries the nameof the "A" bell. The "C" bell is named for St. Catherine of Alexandria who, throughclarity and beauty of speech, became the guide of the Christian philosopher. Thesmaller "F" bell, whose sound is heard above the others, is named for St. Andrewwho proclaimed the splendor of the Word of God.The Margaret Jonsson Theater and Courtyard (1972) houses a handsome80-seat theater and scene shop. Using an older campus building, the renovationsand extensions were made possible by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Erik Jonsson.The J. M. Haggar, Sr. University Center (1976), made possible through theHaggar Foundation and other bequests, is a handsome facility which includes theHaggar café, Rathskeller, bookstore, post office, Cap Bar, UD Police Department,the Student Leadership and Activities Center, Student Affairs and Government offices, Chaplain’s Office and Campus Ministry, Health Center, Visiting Professor Suiteand meeting and reception rooms. This award-winning facility, dedicated in 1976,is located on the Braniff Mall.The Patrick E. Haggerty Science Center (1985), a 60,000-square-foot teachingand research facility, completed in 1985, commemorates an outstanding industrialistand scientist and one of the university’s most dedicat
modern world. Its specific purpose is to offer selected master’s and doctoral programs in the liberal arts which recall these disciplines to their first principles and which will prepare students for careers in a variety of fields. These programs seek to enable students to acquire the kno