THE GATELibertyville-Mundelein Historical Society MeetingMarch 18, 2013
Outline Legend Whathappened? What have people seen? The Record Pre-1925 DoddridgeFarm, Katherine Kreigh Budd MemorialHome for Children, 1925-1936 Boy Scouts of America, Camp Doddridge, 1936-39 Catholic Youth Organization, 1940-1982 Lake County Forest Preserve District, 1982-
Legends – What happened?
Legends – What happened?#1 Entrance to girls finishing school early 1950’sPrincipal mental breakdownKilled 4 students and put heads on metal posts of The Gate#2 Entrance to summer camp or asylumCamp counselor or mad man escaped from asylum killed 4 children while in bed orA nun killed children at a summer camp#3 Entrance to asylumWard attendant went insane and murdered 4 chargesAccording to legend, soon after local residents and officials razed buildingsTaylor, Troy. Weird Illinois. Barnes & Noble Publishing, 2005, pp23-25Filas, Lee. “Spirits stake a claim in Lake County lore.” Daily Herald, October 30, 2002, p.1
Legends “The killer was caught and, presumably, imprisoned orexecuted, the trauma shattered the school, which at onceclosed and which stood empty for years in the clearingbeyond the trees. After talk of a ‘haunted’ school andmemories the old building recalled became unbearable toresidents and officials, a movement was begun to tear downthe school and turn the area into a nature preserve.This push for the preserve was a great success, and soon, itseemed, all traces of St. Francis School for Girls were gonefrom the site. The new preserve was christened‘Independence Grove’ as a tribute to the survivors of themassacre who, through the demolition of the school, hadbeen freed from the physical reminders of that awful night.“Bielski, Ursula. More Chicago Haunts: Scenes from Myth and Memory. Lake Claremont Press, Chicago, IL, 2000.
Legends – What people have seen Blood dripping from iron postsStroke of midnight on anniversary of murders(Halloween) phantom heads appear on the fence postsHeadless nun roams the woodsGhost of a small boy spotted staring out from behindthe iron postsResidents in the surrounding area describe seeingfigures in 1930s era clothing either in their homes or thenearby farm fieldsApparitions, eerie screams, mysterious e-county
The Record, pre-1925 William BoardmanBorn in Fayette, New York in1805Came to Little Fort (Waukegan)1846About 1846 purchased theproperty in Libertyville Township 1861 Plat MapLived with his wife Betsy AnnBockoven (1815-1854), their fourchildren, and father-in-law1850 farm valued at 6,000(approximately 160,000 today)1860 farm value had doubled to 12,000 ( 296,000 today)Source: Lake County Discovery Museum,Lake County Archives
The Record, pre-1925 Youngest son, George Boardman (1848-1915) enlistedwith the 17th Illinois Cavalry in January 1864Occupation was listed as farmer Mustered out as a private in November 1865 William Boardman died August 30, 1864, age 59 Buried with his wife and three of the children at theLakeside CemeteryProperty sold sometime after 1864 George Boardman married and moved to Allen County,IndianaSource: Lake County Discovery Museum,Lake County Archives
The Record, pre-1925 Solomon KelseyBorn in Osego County, N.Y.1825Came west in 1853 andsettled in Lake County Married twice 1860 census: Warren Twp1870 census: Avon1880 census: LibertyvilleHelen A. Monroe (d. 1865),one daughterLucy A. Thayer (d. 1903), nochildrenDied 19061915 Plat MapSource: Lake County Discovery Museum,Lake County Archives
Doddridge Farm, 1925-1936Katherine Kreigh Budd Memorial Home for Children Lake County Register,Mar 18, 1930, p.3 c.1928 Britton I. Budd (1871-1965)Worked in the railway shops of theIntramural railway at the ColumbianExpositionTwo years later became storehouse clerk forthe Metropolitan West Side ElevatedRailroadGeneral manager by 1907 and president by1910President of the Chicago Elevated Railwayscompany, North Shore Railway, Chicago,Aurora, and Elgin RailroadWhen friend Samuel Insull was electedchairman of Public Service Company ofNorthern Illinois in 1923, Budd was electedpresidentElected vice chairman in 1951Retired 1952BRITTON I. BUDD, CIVIC, INDUSTRY LEADER, DIES: GUIDED PUBLICSERVICE CO. FROM 1923 TO 1951, Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file)[Chicago, Ill] 27 Jan 1965: a6.
Doddridge Farm, 1925-1936Katherine Kreigh Budd Memorial Home for Children Britton I. Budd Pioneer in extension of electricity to ruralareasTrustee/executive committee member ofCentury of Progress Exposition 1933-34Founder of Chicago Boys ClubDirector/executive committee memberAmerican Red CrossPresident/director John Crerar libraryTrustee DePaul University, University ofChicago Cancer Research FoundationBritton I. Budd Medal for the Saving ofHuman LifeCHA Britton Budd ApartmentsChicago Tribune, Jan 27, 1965: a6.
Doddridge Farm, 1925-1936Katherine Kriegh Budd Memorial Home for Children Katherine Doddridge KreighBudd (1863-1925)Born in Illinois Married to Britton I. Budd c.1900 Known for her “intellectualattainments” Treasurer of the Guild of theAssociated Sister of Mary of theEpiscopal Church Known for her work with poor andcrippled children Died Jan. 18, 1925 after aprotracted illness 1900 censusChicago Daily Tribune, Jan 19, 1925, p. 12
Doddridge Farm, 1925-1936Katherine Kreigh Budd Memorial Home for Children 1925: Budd acquires 200 acres along theDes Plaines River north of LibertyvillePlans to build summer “home”/camp for orphans of St.Mary’s orphanage, 2822 Jackson Blvd., Chicago Buildings to be completed by Spring 1926 1926: 10 cottages will be ready by June 25 Hopeto have swimming pool completed as wellLibertyville Independent, Sept. 17, 1925Chicago Daily Tribune, Mar 3, 1926, p.29
Doddridge Farm, 1925-1936Katherine Kreigh Budd Memorial Home for ChildrenDedication June 27, 1926 – 15 cottages and temporarybuildings completedChicago Daily Tribune, June 28, 1926, p.3
Doddridge Farm, 1925-1936Katherine Kreigh Budd Memorial Home for Children
Doddridge Farm, 1925-1936Katherine Kreigh Budd Memorial Home for Children
Doddridge Farm, 1925-1936Katherine Kreigh Budd Memorial Home for Children
Doddridge Farm, 1930-1936 Annual retreat location for Episcopal clergymen1931 – opened as emergency relief home fordestitute children and families1934 – loaned to Illinois Emergency ReliefCommission for summer use as a camp forconvalescent women on relief rolls Womenstay at least one month and must do about 2hours of work each day to maintain campChicago Daily Tribune, Feb 1, 1931, p.F2Chicago Daily Tribune, June 24, 1934, p.4
Doddridge Farm, 1930-1936 1934 – Charles Taft II speaks at annual retreat Taft an Episcopal lay worker “The greatest weapon againstthem [radical political philosophiesin Europe] is our Christian religion.” Called on Christian men to combatradical tendencies through churchand religious activitiesChicago Daily Tribune, Sept 30, 1934, p.8
Boy Scouts, Camp Doddridge, 1936-39 Bishop George Craig Stewart1936 agreement to leaseDoddridge Farm to Boy Scoutsof America, rent free, untilJanuary 1, 1938, then BoyScouts to have option to renewfor another 10 yearsEpiscopal Bishop Stewart“ The trustees thereforedecide to forego the use ofDoddridge Farm for diocesanactivities in order to meet apressing need in a broaderfield.”Chicago Daily Tribune, Aug 23, 1936, P.W6
Boy Scouts, Camp Doddridge, 1936-1939 18 buildings with running water and “all modernsanitary facilities”Trustees are improving and preparing propertyScouts will add tent equipment for several hundredboysMay 1937 – St. Luke’s Episcopal Church (Chicago) firstunit in city to register for a summer camping period atCamp Doddridge1938 – swimming pool, 15 screen tents, 10 cabins,large recreation hall, 150 volume libraryOct 1938 – Boy Scout Pow Wow – Rally of 1000 boysChicago Daily Tribune, Aug 23, 1936, P.W6Chicago Daily Tribune, May 30, 1937, p.W3Chicago Daily Tribune, Aug 14, 1938, p.SW2Chicago Daily Tribune, Oct 2, 1938, p.N4
Girl Scouts, 1939Independent Register, June 22, 1939, p.8
Catholic Youth Organization,1939-1979 Episcopal Diocese sells land to Catholic YouthOrganization“ resources of the Episcopal diocese did notpermit the farm’s full use. He [Episcopal BishopStewart] explained that the CYO with its thousandsof members would fully utilize the farm’s facilities.”Chicago Daily Tribune, Jan 4, 1940, p17.
CYO and The Ladies of the Grail “Have acquired beautifulsite with several buildingsnear Chicago. Will youarrange to start work atearliest convenience?”--telegram from Bishop Bernard Sheil toGrail Training Center, Amsterdam,December 30, 1939 in reference toDoddridge farmBishop Bernard SheilKalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 The Grail began in Holland in 1921 as a Catholic layorganization, called The Women of NazarethFounded by Jesuit priest, Jacques van Ginneken (18771949) From beginning women directed the GrailStaged massive, colorful rallies and enacted religious dramasWorking with young women in Holland, England, and GermanyIn May 1940, two Dutch Grail women, Lydwine vanKersbergen (1904-1998) and Joan Overboss (1910-1969),came to the United States at the invitation of Chicago’sarchbishopThey began their work as the Grail at Doddridge Farm, asummer camp in Libertyville, the-grail-in-the-us/,accessed Nov 20, 2012
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943Kalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 First task assigned was to prepare for the arrival of500 refugee children from war-torn EuropeChicago Daily Tribune, July 7, 1940, p.1
War refugeesIndependent Register, July 2, 1940, p.1
War refugees Dance fundraiser ecou02z/id/397/rec/1Chicago Daily Tribune, Oct 27, 1940, p.W4
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 No refugee children were forthcomingSheil changed task to summer camps for childrenfrom inner city Bishopvolunteered for 5000 budget Grail agreed to provide staff at no salary Camp to open July 7, 1941 Multi-cultural group of children 20 boys from a Catholic institution to take care oflandscaping under charge of CYO staffKalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 “Laid out as a little village withchapel at one end, dining hall inthe middle, the assembly halland swimming pool at the otherend, dormitories in between, allnicely landscaped andconnected with winding paths.”“Volunteers, under Graildirection had painted thebuildings in bright colors, yellow,blue, green. All the colors of therainbow adorned the rafters inthe Assembly Hall.”Kalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.Time Magazine, July 1941
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 20 girls and 5 leaders in each of the cottagesEach camping group stays 2 weeksMust pass both medical and dental exam to attendPart of budget used to supply needed clothes, ex bathing suits, thatcampers might not haveKids to help with camp choresPlans to have gardens and a cow “if plans work out”5 dorms, dining hall, green and orange reception room, chapelChapel center aisle flanked by pews and kneeling boards, 2 little,old-fashioned reed organs at either side of entranceNear the chapel, “built up upon a shrine-like stone structure is theAngelus bell” –rings for morning, noon and evening prayerChicago Daily Tribune, July 20, 1941, p.N2
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943Buildings and tasks named according to the Grail legend Reception Building Round TableDormitories Galahad,Percival, Gawain, andGarethPlaying field CamelotSwimming pool SwanHandicraft center MagicGroveGarden Promised Land Leaders in the dorms Pages in the Service of theKingLeaders in activities JestersActivities program InQuest of AdventureBedtime story hour Witching HourCleaning Slaying theDragonKalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.
Assembly hallDining hallChapelChicago Daily Tribune, July 9, 1940, p.3
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 Once summer camp was over, small group stayed atDoddridgeGrail course at Christmas 1941, 2 week program inJune 1943, second series of summer camps – 400children from Chicago2 week Rural Life School for young women withProfessor Willis Nutting of Notre Dame, MortimerAdler of U of Chicago, and Emerson HynesWinter 1943 – buildings had been built for summer,no foundations, space heaters that burnt oilKalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 Problems between CYO and The Ladies of theGrailSummer camps not a work which the Grail wouldhave chosen3 levels of activity going on at Doddridge Farm Camp program Apostolic training for counselors Novitiate for Ladies of the Grail Bishop Sheil never explicitly disagreed withGrail goals, often he simply ignored themKalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 One of the first disagreements had been over initial repairs Camp had been vacant a long time & was dirty anddilapidated Repairs mismanaged according to Grail Boys to help with work were also a hindrance - boys from“Our Lady of Missions” went joy riding in visitors’ cars,started a fire in the bath house, damaged farm truck,mowing machine Untrustworthy caretaker (tried to sell tools from the farm inLibertyville)CYO undermining Grail’s authority over camp program CYO encouraged children and counselors to ignore Grailrules Grail too strict and pious with regard to dress, smoking &drinkingKalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.
The Ladies of the Grail, 1940-1943 Difficulties with mixed gender Acres of grounds, hard to supervise keeping boys and girls separateBrothers in charge allowed the boys to hang around the dormitories andtake older girls for walks in the woodsJunior counselor stayed out in the woods with a boy until after midnight Grail sent her homeBishop Sheil disagreed saying The Grail didn’t understand American youthIn spring 1943, Bishop Sheil announced Doddridge would be usedby armed forces for recreation then turned in to a boys camp forsummer 1943Time for Grail to go – moved to Childerley (country estate nearWheeling) for summerMoved to permanent home “Grailville” outside of Cincinnati, OH –grand opening July 17, 1944Kalven, Janet. Women Breaking Boundaries: A Grail Journey,1940-1995. State University of New York Press, 1999.
CYO Takes Over 1954 Plat MapCYO Boys Camp1943-1954Chicago CatholicCharities took overmanagement ofgrounds 19551956-1973 conductedSt. Francis Camp forBoysKoenig, Rev. Msgr. Harry C. S.T.D., editor. Caritas ChristiUrgent Nos: A History of the Offices, Agencies, and Institutionsof the Archdiocese of Chicago. Volume II. Archdiocese ofChicago, c1981.
St. Francis Camp for Boys, 1956-1973St. Francis Boys Camp pamphlet, 1961.
St. Francis Camp for Boys, 1956-1973 “To build men for Christ through play”2 resident priests, director and chaplain12 Seminarians serve as counselors and program advisorsBrothers cook and first aid94 acres, 40 are wooded, approx. 30 buildings5 buildings living quarters, boys grouped by ageCamp chapel, dining hall, infirmary, assembly hall, craftshop and main officeCatholic boys 8 to 132 week periods June 16-Aug 17Waukegan News-Sun, Aug 16, 1963
St. Francis Camp for Boys, 1956-1973 Daily routineSt. Francis Boys Camp pamphlet, 1961.
St. Francis Camp for Boys, 1956-1973 Activities: swimming, first aid, crafts, nature lore,archery, athletics, outdoor life, camp outs – makebelts, wallets, model planes and ships, work with tincraft, lanyard craft, wire craft, wood craftWaukegan News-Sun, Aug 16, 1963
St. Francis Camp for Boys, 1956-1973 Nature museum built up by campersSoftball, volleyball, basketball, field meet at end ofeach session
St. Francis Camp for Boys, 1956-1973
St. Francis Camp for Boys, 1956-1973
St. Francis Camp for Boys, 1956-1973 Closed 1973Aging facilitiesShortage of capital fundsDecreasing staff due to drop in seminary enrollment
Camp St. Francis, 1974-1979 Reopened 1974 as Camp St. Francis for girls age 6to 13 on 89 of the acres originally purchased –smaller scale then boys campMixture of inner city and suburban girlsFunctioning on shoestring budgetOctober 1979 camp closed and demolishedKoenig, Rev. Msgr. Harry C. S.T.D., editor. Caritas Christi Urgent Nos: AHistory of the Offices, Agencies, and Institutions of the Archdiocese ofChicago. Volume II. Archdiocese of Chicago, c1981.
Lake County Forest Preserve, 1982Parcel B – acquiredNovember 1982from CatholicCharitiesParcel A – Acquiredby LCFPD 19741974 Plat of Survey
1979 PlatAcquired by LCFPD 1979
St. Francis Woods - Lake County Forest Preserve Volunteer Stewards since 1985 DonCoate 1985-1995 Tom and Ethel Tincher, 1995 Volunteer workdays year round Winter- cut buckthorn/ clear brush Summer - pull garlic mustard Fall 2012 – planted 300 native trees and shrubs withcorporate Volunteer workdays last fall http://www.lcfpd.org – Get Involved Volunteer Habitat Restoration Volunteer
St. Francis Woods - Lake County Forest Preserve
What about the legend? – The Watchman Edward F. Thomas, “Negro”, 44 years old,watchman at CYO camp at Doddridge FarmSept 12, 1943 arrested early morning in autoNE of Libertyville Carrying a loaded revolver and a flashlightAccompanied by “white man”, John Ratowski, 55,farm hand11:30am refused to eatEscaped before 12:15pm6 ft tall, 180 lbs climbed on bed, strippedaway a bit of corrugated ceiling and went intoattic at Lake County Jail in WaukeganWent into sheriff's residence next door and outa windowSherriff had been sitting in adjoining roomChicago Daily Tribune, Sept 13, 1943, p.20
What about the legend? – The Watchman Lake County Circuit Court, judgment docket Oct 4, 1943Thomas in court Oct 11Indictment for robbery and robbery with a gun Charge August 28, 1943 – armed robbery against Mitchell Kane,took watch, ring, moneyAugust 28, 1943 – robbery of Florence Kmet – railroad ticket,fountain pen, moneySept 6, 1943 – robbery of Henry Suhling – 21 rubles
What about the legend? – The Watchman Nov 14, 1943, Chicago Daily TribuneEdward F. Thomas and Percy Dawson (54) complainabout service“These two fellows regard themselves as starboarders at a summer resort you should hear themscream for fresh sheets and real cream in their coffee.”They were the only 2 inmates in the jail at the timeRatio of jailors to inmates was 13 to 1Lowest population at the Lake County Jail in 50 yearsChicago Daily Tribune, Nov 14, 1943, p.18
What about the legend? - Drowning May 1961Glen Bottorff, 2 ½ drownedin river adjacent to St. FrancisBoys groundsSon of Mrs. & Mr. PaulBottorff, Meadow Grovefarm, just south of DoddridgeBottorff, president of Trim,Inc., electronicsmanufacturers,400 W. Lake St., LibertyvilleChicago Daily Tribune, May 12, 1961, p.3Independent Register, May 18, 1961, Obituaries
What about the legend? - Murder June 2002: Dog unit discovers woman’s remains atCamp St. Francis preserveIdentified as Graciela Guijarro of WaukeganHusband, Ruben Contreras, horse trainer atDaybreak Farm Stables charged with murderSpent six years on the run in Mexico until found andextradited in 2008Set to go to trial February 2013Lake County News-Sun, June 7, 2002, P.A1Lake County News-Sun, Jan 16, 2009, p.4
When did the legend start? Best guess – early-mid 1980’s Buildingsdemolished 1979 Not mentioned in a 1983 Pioneer Press article aboutlocal ghost stories Big stone gate, with a drive that leads to nowhere
The Legend Lives On 1999 – After seeing “The Blair Witch Project” 5teens went to The Gate to investigateWoke up nearby homeowners and received 75tickets for being in forest preserve after hoursOctober 2010 LHS Drops of Ink article3 patron questions at Cook Library in past 4 monthsSouthwell, David. “Teen’s witch hunt just a ghost story.” Chicago Sun Times, August 4, 1999, ounty
The Legend Lives OnPumpkins thrown over The Gate, Nov 2012
Swimming Pool, c. 1926
Swimming Pool, 2012
Bath House, c. 1926
Bath House, 2012
Recreation Hall with water tower, c. 1926
Water tower base, 2012
Basketball Court Fall 2012
The Gate, c. 1926
The Gate, 2012
Acknowledgements Diana Dretske, Lake County ArchivesPhil Hogan, local history volunteerKen Jones, LCFPDMichael Kleen, Paranormal IllinoisArlene Lane, local history volunteerScott Nelson, Libertyville attorney,http://www.libertyville-lawyer.com Sonia Schoenfield, local history librarianTom Smith, LCFPDTom and Ethel Tincher,St. Francis Woods Stewards
Thank youJenny BarryLocal History LibrarianCook Memorial Public Library [email protected]
property in Libertyville Township Lived with his wife Betsy Ann Bockoven (1815-1854), their four children, and father-in-law 1850 farm valued at 6,000 (approximately 160,000 today) 1860 farm value had doubled to 12,000 ( 296,000 today) 1861 Plat Map Source: Lake County Discovery Museum, Lake County Archives