Notice of Equal OpportunityThomas Jefferson University is committed to providing equal educational and employmentopportunities for all persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, marital status, religion,sex, sexual orientation , gender identity, age, disability or veteran's status. The consideration offactors unrelated to a person's ability, qualifications and performance is inconsistent with thispolicy. Any person having inquiries or complaints concerning Thomas Jefferson University'scompliance with Title VI, Title IX, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, the Americans with DisabilitiesAct, or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act is directed to contact their Student Affairs Dean or HumanResources - Employee Relations, who have been designated by Thomas Jefferson University tocoordinate the institution's efforts to comply with the these laws. Any person may also contact theAssistant Secretary for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C. 20202, or theDirector, U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, Region Three, Philadelphia,Pennsylvania, regarding the University's compliance with the equal opportunity laws.* * *Provisions of this HandbookThe intent of this handbook is to describe the general policies and procedures regarding the JeffersonCollege of Life Sciences for the 2020 - 2021 academic year. It is not intended to be a binding,irrevocable contract between Thomas Jefferson University and the student. The institution reservesthe right to alter without notice its policies, procedures, fees, and academic offerings as is deemedexpedient and necessary. Additional general university-wide policies are available on the ThomasJefferson University Student Handbook ks.html).For more current information about our graduate programs, consult our Jefferson College of LifeSciences website at: html Thomas JeffersonUniversity is fully accredited by the Commission of Higher Education of the Middle StatesAssociation of Colleges and Schools.Revised August 20, 20202

Student HandbookJeffersonCollege of Life SciencesGraduate School of Biomedical SciencesThomas Jefferson University2020 - 2021Jefferson College of Life Sciences1020 Locust StreetPhiladelphia, PA versity/life-sciences.html3

Table of ContentsNotice of Equal Opportunity . Page 2Provisions of this Handbook . Page 2Table of Contents . Page 4Jefferson College of Life Sciences . Page 5General Requirements . Page 6Course, Credit, Enrollment Information. Page 8Change of Student Status . Page 14Fees and Expenses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 17Policy on Part-time Work for Full-time Ph.D. Student . Page 18Awards . Page 18JCLS Grievance Procedure . Page 20JCLS Academic Integrity Policy . Page 20All students are required to review the University-wide policies and regulations on the TJUStudent Handbook s.htmlEast Falls students should refer to appropriate documentation for their campus andprograms at dents in the Human Genetics and Genetic Counseling Program should also refer to theMaster of Science in Human Genetics and Genetic Counseling2020-2021 Student Handbook for program specific eling%20Student%20Handbook.pdf4

Thomas Jefferson UniversityJefferson College of Life SciencesThe Jefferson College of Life Sciences of Thomas Jefferson University, originally established July 1, 1969, asthe Jefferson College of Graduate Studies, is responsible for the planning, operation, and administration ofeducational programs of Thomas Jefferson University that lead to u n d e r g r a d u a t e d e g r e e s i n v a r i o u sf i e l d s o f l i f e s c i e n c e s a s w e l l a s graduate degrees in the biomedical sciences, including the Master ofScience and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. JCLS also includes undergraduate degree programs offered at ourEast Falls campus. It is also responsible for stimulating, establishing, and coordinating research and postbaccalaureate educational projects that cross traditional school boundaries.The Jefferson College of Life Sciences offers Ph.D. programs in biochemistry and molecular pharmacology; cellbiology and regenerative medicine; genetics, genomics and cancer biology; immunology and microbialpathogenesis; and neuroscience. An M.D./Ph.D. program is offered jointly by the Jefferson College of LifeSciences and Sidney Kimmel Medical College. The College of Life Sciences also offers M.S. programs inbiomedical sciences, cell and developmental biology, clinical research, forensic biology, forensic toxicology,human genetics and genetic counseling, microbiology and immunology, and pharmacology. Additionally theCollege offers graduate certificate programs in clinical research and trials: implementation, clinical research:operations, human clinical investigation: theory, infectious disease control, and patient-centered research. At ourEast Falls campus, we offer undergraduate programs in biology, biochemistry, chemistry and pre-medical studies.For individuals seeking to complete their basic science requirements in preparation for entrance to medical andother health professional schools, the Jefferson College of Life Sciences offers a Postbaccalaureate PreProfessional Program (P4). Both a two-year as well as a one-year accelerated track are available. The curriculumincludes undergraduate courses with lectures and labs in General Chemistry, Biology, Organic Chemistry, andPhysics, as well as professional experience and advising obtained through the courses Healthcare Practicum andThe Art and Science of Healthcare. A formal course in MCAT preparation is also a component of the program.The Jefferson College of Life Sciences is also the administrative home of the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.The administrative offices of the Jefferson College of Life Sciences are located on the mezzanine floor ofJefferson Alumni Hall, 1020 Locust Street. The Office of the Dean and Office of Finance and BusinessPlanning reside in suite M-63. The Office of the Postbaccalaureate Pre-Professional P r o gram is in room M60. The Office of Admissions, Office of Academic Services, and Office of Postdoctoral Affairs are located in suiteM-46. The Director of Admissions and staff handle all materials of applicants seeking admission to theCollege. Enrollment and all academic records of matriculated and non-degree students are administered bythe University Registrar and staff, located in the Curtis Building, 1015 Walnut Street. The University Financial AidOffice, located on the 1st floor of the Curtis Building, assists students with student loans and other financial matters.The Executive Committee has jurisdiction over academic policy, acting on behalf of the Graduate Faculty. Itsmembership consists of representatives of the graduate degree programs. Under the chairmanship of the Dean,the Council approves new programs and courses, and acts on student requests and petitions regardingacademic matters. Each Ph.D. and M.S. degree program is supervised by a faculty committee, headed by aProgram Director.The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs within the College of Life Sciences oversees matters related to postdoctoraltraining, including establishment of personnel policies for the postdoc population, coordinating career seminars andextracurricular activities.5

GENERAL REQUIREMENTSA student is ultimately responsible for meeting all requirements for a degree and for graduation. Mentorshipby advisors, faculty, the thesis research committee, and the deans is offered in an advisory capacity only; itis the student who must assure that all course, credit, and graduation requirements are fulfilled.It is the responsibility of the student to be familiar with and observe the academic policies of the College in allmatters including course registration, adding and dropping courses, and withdrawal from courses and/or the Collegeas stated in this Handbook. While the College will maintain student records, it is the student's responsibility toensure that his/her academic record is accurate.To receive credit for a graduate course, students must enroll through the University Office of the Registrar at thetime of registration prior to the beginning of each semester. Registration is available online via Banner Web andmust be completed by the dates specified. Non-payment of tuition by the specified due date may result in thecancellation of registration.Each student is also required to obtain an ID card through the Photo ID Center on campus. Refer to the sectionin the TJU Student Handbook.EnrollmentPh.D. Enrollment on a Full-time BasisA student matriculated in a Ph.D. program must maintain continuous enrollment each semester until completion ofthe degree, or must request a leave of absence from study from the director of the graduate program. The leavemust be approved by the Dean of the College of Life Sciences (see the section on "Leave of Absence" in thisHandbook). A minimum of three years of full-time study (i.e., 180 credits) beyond the baccalaureate is required forthe Doctor of Philosophy degree. In most instances completion of requirements for the Ph.D. degree requires fourto five years of study.A student admitted into a Ph.D. program with a master's degree in a related field, a doctoral degree inmedicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry, or successful completion of graduate course work at anotherinstitution may be granted up to a maximum of 18 graduate course credits toward the Ph.D. degree. However, inno case shall less than one year of residence (full-time status at Jefferson) be spent at Thomas Jefferson University.At least 30 percent of the credits (a minimum of 54) must be obtained from formal course work, of which one third(a minimum of 18) must be in disciplines other than that of major concentration.The Jefferson College of Life Sciences requires successful completion of GC 640 - Research Ethics: TheResponsible Conduct of Research, of all doctoral students.Ph.D. Enrollment on a Part-time BasisThe Ph.D. degree will not be awarded for study taken wholly on a part-time basis. However, a Ph.D. student whoenrolls primarily on a part-time basis is subject to all the requirements of the College and of the student's doctoralprogram in the earning of the Ph.D. degree. The student must spend at least two consecutive semesters in fulltime residence in the College of Life Sciences of Thomas Jefferson University. During that time, s/he cannot beemployed full-time elsewhere. The part-time Ph.D. student is to choose a faculty advisor by the conclusion of thefirst year of study and laboratory research rotations.M.S. EnrollmentJefferson College of Life Sciences students pursuing a Master of Science degree in biomedical sci e nces, celland developmental biology, clinical research, forensic biology, forensic toxicology, microbiology and immunology,and pharmacology are matriculated into a part-time program. For national and state statistical reportingpurposes, a student is considered a "full-time" student if carrying a course load of nine credits or more per semester.These programs require a minimum of 40 credits for completion. In most instances, students complete their programover a 2-3 year period.6

Jefferson students pursuing a Master of Science degree in the Human Genetics and Genetic Counseling Programin the Jefferson College of Life Sciences are matriculated into a full-time program.Foreign national students who hold an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to be continuously enrolled in order tomaintain lawful immigration status in the United States. Any change in enrollment must be approved by theProgram Director and the Office of International Affairs , ernational-students.html7

COURSE, CREDIT, ENROLLMENT INFORMATIONCoursesAll courses listed in the catalog are available to students enrolled in an appropriate certificate or degree programin the College of Life Sciences, provided they meet the prerequisites for each course. The course coordinatormay limit the number of students in a course. Individuals in non-degree status may also enroll in certaincourses for credit, provided the conditions described under "Non-Degree Student Status" are met.Each course is identified by a five or six character "designator". The first two or three letters are an abbreviationfor the program offering the course (see key below), followed by a three digit number.For graduate courses, the first digit identifies the level of the course: 500-introductory, 600-advanced, 700seminar/literature review, 800-master's clerkship and research, and 900-doctoral research. Undergraduatecourses utilize the 100 - 200 - 300 - 400 sequence in order of introductory to advanced topics. Sequentialcourses are generally differentiated by the second digit of the course number.As circumstances require, the time period for a course may be changed, or the course may not be offered in agiven academic year. Students are urged to refer to the Class Schedule which is issued at the beginning of eachsemester and identifies active courses for the current academic term. This list is available on BANNER Web,the University Office of the Registrar, and the TJU website at - Anatomy (Sidney Kimmel Medical College core course available to JCBS students)ASH - Art and Science of HealthcareBl - Biochemistry and Molecular BiologyBIO - BiologyCB - Cell and Developmental BiologyCHE - ChemistryFB – Forensic BiologyFT - Forensic ToxicologyGC - Graduate Center for Education and TrainingGE – GeneticsHG – Human GeneticsIMP - Immunology and Microbial PathologyMl - MicrobiologyNS - NeurosciencePHY - PhysicsPR - Molecular Pharmacology and Structural BiologyPS - Molecular Physiology and BiophysicsTE - Tissue Engineering and Regenerative MedicineCreditsOne credit in graduate courses represents one hour of lecture or two hours of laboratory work per week fora minimum of twelve weeks. Credit for research is based upon the proportion of time spent therein.A full-time doctoral student must attempt no fewer than 20 credits for the Fall Semester, 30 for the SpringSemester, and 10 for the Summer Semester, with a total of 60 credits for the academic year. The SummerSemester is a period for full-time study and research training for Ph.D. students.A part-time doctoral student may earn no more combined course and research credits than 60% of thecombined number of credits earned at full-time status (60 credits annually).Both the one year accelerated and two year track postbaccalaureate pre-professional (P4) students are requiredto take a total of 38 credits in science courses and electives. The two year track P4 students have 2 years to fulfillthis requirement while the one year accelerated P4 student must accomplish this in one year.8

Grading SystemThe following scale, effective the Fall Semester of 1994, gives the suggested numerical equivalent for faculty whowish to do the initial grading by using a numerical scale. Only a letter grade will appear on the official transcript.GradeAAB BBC edNumerical Equivalent90 or above87-8984-8680-8377-7974-7670-7369 or lIncompleteA student who places or tests out of a graduate level course which is a required course in that student's program willreceive the grade of "Satisfactory" for that course on his/her official transcript. Course credits will count toward thecredit requirements for the degree.P4 Grading ScaleThe following scale, effective the Pre-Fall Semester of 2017, gives the suggested numerical equivalent for facultywho wish to do the initial grading by using a numerical scale. Only a letter grade will appear on the official transcript.GradeQualityPointsSuggestedNumerical EquivalentA 4.098-100A4.093-97A-3.790-92B 3.387-89B3.083-86B-2.780-82C 2.377-79C2.073-76C-1.770-72D 1.367-69D1.063-66D-0.760-62F0.059 or awIIncomplete9

AuditingAuditing a course without registration and receiving a grade is not permitted.Grade Point Average (GPA)The grade point average is derived from the grades and credit hours of courses taken. For each coursegraded A through F, multiply the number of Quality Points (QPTS - see above for 4.0 scale) by the GPA Hour(GPAH - Courses graded A through F) credit value. Add the products of these multiplications for each courseand divide that sum by the sum of GPA Hours to arrive at the GPA. Courses for which a student has thedesignation of S, U, W, or I and grades for transferred courses are not included in the computation of the gradepoint average.Grades are part of the student's permanent record. Once submitted and entered on the student's transcript,no changes will be made to this record, with the exception of entering the final grade to replace an "I" orcorrecting an inappropriate grade. (Refer to "Change of Grade".)Change of GradeTo change a student's grade of "I" (Incomplete) or to correct a grade, the professor/instructor should completeand sign a Grade Change form, available in the University Office of the Registrar. A student who believes thats/he has received an inappropriate grade should contact the instructor or course coordinator. If the outcome isnot satisfactory to the student, further review may be pursued with the Dean of the JCBS. A change of grademay be made within four weeks from the last day or final examination of the course.TranscriptsStudents may review their grades and unofficial transcript on Banner Web at any time. A fee of 5 pertranscript will be charged for each official transcript issued. All transcripts must be ordered online nscripts.html. TheCollege reserves the right to withhold transcripts from students under certain circumstances, such as defaultingon a loan or having financial obligations to the University.An official transcript, printed on security paper, is identified by the signature of the University Director ofStudent Records. Alteration or forgery of such a document is a criminal offense. The Family Educational Rights andPrivacy Act of 1974 prohibits release of educational records to a third party without the student's written consent.Upon receipt of the written request by the student and the payment of the fee, the transcript may be released to thethird party. If the third party requires the student to submit an official transcript with other materials, the transcriptis stamped "Issued to Student", is enclosed in a sealed envelope with the signature of the Director of Student Recordsacross the sealed flap, and is then given to the student to submit to the third party.Changes of Schedule: Dropping and Adding CoursesStudents who wish to revise their schedules after registration must complete a Drop/Add Form and return it with thesignatures of their advisor or Program Director to the University Office of the Registrar. Students may drop a coursebefore the third class meeting. A course that is dropped does not appear on the student's transcript.Students, in consultation with their advisors, are responsible for making certain that any changes in schedule will fulfillrequirements for the degree. Students receiving financial aid should also consult with the University Office ofFinancial Aid regarding the effect that changing their academic schedule may have on their eligibility for aid.Students who stop attending classes without filing the required Drop/Add form will be responsible for the fullpayment of tuition and may receive a failing grade for the course. Verbal notification to the course instructor or theRegistrar's Office does not constitute an official course drop. Similarly, students who attend classes without properlyregistering for or adding a course will not receive credit for the course. The addition of a student's name to the classlist by an Instructor does not constitute course enrollment.10

Course WithdrawalAfter the conclusion of the Drop period, students may withdraw from a course by obtaining the appropriate form fromthe University Office of the Registrar and securing the signatures of their advisor or Program Director. A student who isauthorized to withdraw from a class prior to the date published in the Academic Calendar will receive a grade of "W'if the student's performance is at a passing level. If the student is failing at that time, a grade of "F" will berecorded. No credits or quality points are given for either grade, which will remain on the student's permanent record.However, the grade of "F" is included in the calculation of the student's grade point average, while the grade of "W" isnot.A student is not allowed to withdraw after the end of the third quarter of the course and will receive the grade of "F" ifs/he does not complete the course. For the present purpose, the course begins the first day of that class, which maybe later than the first day of the semester.Students who stop attending classes without filing the required Course Withdrawal form will be responsible for the fullpayment of tuition and will receive a grade of "F" for the course. Verbal notification to the course instructor or theRegistrar's Office does not constitute an official course withdrawal.In order to receive credit for a course from which a student has withdrawn, the student must re-register for the course ina subsequent term.Failure to Complete a CourseA student, who has not met all requirements of a course, may be given the grade of "I" (Incomplete). A grade of "I"indicates that the instructor is not prepared to give a grade for the course because the student has not completed allrequirements for the course. This grade automatically becomes an "F" if the work is not completed and a grade is notsubmitted by the instructor within four weeks after the end of the course or the final examination.Failure in a CourseA student who receives a grade of "F" must petition the Executive Committee for permission to continue graduatestudy. The student must submit the petition in writing to the Dean of the JCLS for consideration by the ExecutiveCommittee. The petition should include pertinent, detailed information in support of the request to continue graduatestudy. The student must also request a written statement from the director of the graduate program; this statementshould be forwarded to the Dean.The Executive Committee will make a decision either to allow the student to continue study in the College or to dismissthe student. In the former case, Council will define a set of recommended conditions under which the student may beallowed to continue study. The decision of the Council will be provided to the student in writing and is final.The grade of "F" will remain on the student's permanent record and will be computed in the student's grade pointaverage. No credit for the course will be earned.Repeating a CourseA student who has been placed on probation or who receives a grade of "C" in a course that is a requirement of thestudent's degree program, may be required to repeat the course. As a general policy, graduate students areencouraged to select courses that increase their scholarship. If a student requires additional exposure to adiscipline, taking a new course in that area, rather than repeating a course, is strongly recommended. If a seriousdeficiency in fundamental knowledge is present, a student may request permission to repeat a basic course in thatdiscipline, subject to the following stipulations:A course may be repeated only once. The student must obtain prior approval from the student's advisor, ProgramDirector, and the Dean. Whenever a course is repeated, no additional hours attempted will accrue, and the lattergrade replaces the previous grade in computing the grade point average, and in assignment of academic credit. Bothgrades remain a part of the student's permanent academic record.11

Transfer of CreditsCredits previously applied to a Master of Science degree may be eligible for transfer into the course requirements foreither a master's or doctoral degree. A student wishing to transfer credits for a graduate course earned at anotherinstitution should submit a written request to the director of the graduate program at Jefferson, accompanied by a coursedescription and a syllabus. A grade of B or better is required in each course for which transfer of credits is requested.An official transcript from the outside institution should be obtained if not already included in the student's academic file.The student should request from the director of his/her graduate program a written assessment in support of thisrequest for credit transfer. All the above materials should then be forwarded to the JCLS Dean's Office for review.Grades for courses for which transfer of credits is approved are not recorded on the student's transcript and are notused to compute the grade point average. When necessary, credits from the other institution will be converted to creditequivalents in the Jefferson College of Life Sciences, as defined in this handbook.A maximum of 18 graduate course credits earned at another graduate college may be transferred to meet, in part, the 54credit formal course work requirement for the Ph.D. degree. For coursework taken at JCLS as part of a regular MSprogram, this limit is increased to 28, exclusive of courses such as research or clerkships, that are not eligible for transfer.Extension of the limit beyond 18 credits to 28 credits shall be at the discretion of the student's Ph.D. graduate program,and a letter of support from the Program Director is required, along with the student's own letter requesting the credittransfer. Unless otherwise specified to suffice for required courses that are part of the Ph.D. curriculum, thesetransferred credits shall be considered as "elective" courses. Students transferring from an MS to a Ph.D. programare still subject to all credit and required course requirements of the College and their respective Ph.D. Program.Nine (9) didactic semester hours may be applied toward course requirements for Master of Science degreeprograms in the basic sciences.Graduate course credits previously applied to an undergraduate degree will not be considered for transfer towards agraduate degree.Students in the P4 program should consult with their Program Director to discuss requirements for transferring creditsfrom another institution to JCLS.Transfer of a Matriculated Student from One Program to Another within JCLSIf a student wishes to transfer from one program to another within JCLS, s/he must present the request to theDean of the Jefferson College of Life Sciences. Requests must include the appropriate signatures. For doctoralstudents these will be at least the student, the director of the program from which the student is moving, the director ofthe program to which the student is transferring, and the advisor who is the student's new mentor. It is theresponsibility of a doctoral student to inform the Office of Finance of any change in funding source arising from theprogram transfer.For master of science students in the basic sciences, the student's signed request should be delivered to theProgram Director or academic coordinator. The student will receive written confirmation of the approved programtransfer at the time it is forwarded to the Registrar.Academic ProbationIn order to be considered making satisfactory academic progress, the student is required to maintain a cumulativegrade point average of no less than B (3.0). A student whose grade point average falls below B will be placedon academic probation. Students on academic probation have the two following semesters to make up thedeficiency. [The Summer Semester is excluded from consideration in this context.] Students on academic probationwho have not been able to obtain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher after two consecutiveprobationary semesters must petition the Executive Committee for permission to continue as a student in the College,or be discharged from the College. The student must submit the petition in writing to the Dean of the Collegeof Life Sciences for consideration by the Executive Committee. The petition should include pertinent, detailedinformation in support of the request to continue graduate study. The student must also request a writtenstatement from the director o

Jefferson College of Life Sciences students pursuing a Master of Science degree in biomedical sciences, cell and developmental biology, clinical research, forensic biology, forensic toxicology, microbiology and immunology, and pharmacology are matriculated into a part-t