CAD Guidelines Faculty and Student Travel CoursesOverviewStudents benefit from faculty/staff organized trips that enhance their academic experience.In accordance with RIT policies, the College of Art and Design has compiled the followingguidelines for its oversight of faculty and staff field trips with students.For all travel, CAD adheres to the guidelines outlined in RIT’s Travel Policies and ProceduresManual, found at: y expenditures.html#aAll employees in CAD are required to review the RIT travel policy before making any travelarrangements involving students. Faculty and staff trip coordinators must work with theirschool’s Senior Staff Assistant in order to process the new online Travel Expense Report (TER)upon completion of travel.Travel CoursesTravel Courses are faculty-led domestic or international travel experiences that are creditbearing. Guidelines for domestic travel courses differ from international ones, as detailedin the following sections.Eligibility to LeadFull-time faculty status (tenure-track, tenured, lecturer, or visiting) within CADis required for faculty members to be eligible to propose and lead a Travel Course. A fulltimefaculty member must be the primary proposer, course instructor, and trip leader.Adjunct faculty members may participate in co-leading a course, but full-time faculty membermust ultimately be responsible for all administrative and financial duties and communicationwith relevant RIT staff and students.Eligibility to EnrollOnly matriculated RIT students are eligible to enroll in CAD Travel Courses.Day Field TripsComplete the process detailed below, and submit the following forms toCAD Student Services (7B-1075) at least one week prior to travel. Unlessotherwise noted, all forms can be found at

Field Trip cover sheet Trip agenda List of participating students with university ID numbers, or class roster Original Emergency Contact forms for each participant,including faculty and staff The faculty or staff trip coordinator must keep a copyof all the completed Emergency Contact forms to takewith them on the field trip in case of an emergency.Completed Budget Template if applicableTransportationUnless RIT is providing transportation, and travel is built into the syllabus as partof the course, field trips should be considered optional. Courses for whichrequired trips involve students making their own individual travel arrangementsshould clearly state this expectation in the course description, syllabus, anddiscussed during the first week of class. If RIT coordinated ground travel isplanned, faculty or staff trip coordinators are advised to contact the Parking andTransportation Services Department to inquire about the use of an RIT van.Drivers of Institute vans must obtain a driver certification card from Parking andTransportation that includesa written and driving test as well as a DMV check on his/her license. The P&Twebsite has a list of approved vendors for buses.If RIT is not providing transportation, students should be told to make their owntransportation arrangements. RIT discourages faculty/staff from activelycoordinating car pools using students as drivers and/or paying student driversmileage allowances for use of their cars. If this option becomes absolutelynecessary, faculty/staff trip coordinators should contact the RIT RiskManagement Office at (585) 475-6135 for further guidance.2

Emergency SituationsFaculty, staff, or student injuries occurring during the trip must be reported bythe faculty or staff trip coordinator as soon as possible to: Public Safety at (585) 475-3333Assistant Dean, Debbie Kingsbury at Mobile (voice/text) (585) 503-4988Field TripsInstructions for submitting all forms to CAD Student ServicesOption 1: Hard Copies Cover sheet should be first List of Student Names (can use class roster) and University ID #’s(include Teaching Assistants or Graduate Assistants going on trip) Emergency Contact forms should be submitted alphabetically bylast name. Forms should be paper-clipped together, not stapledOption 2: Scanning List of Student Names and University ID #’s: This can be a class list,Word or Excel document. Emergency Contact forms should be together and alphabetizedby last name. Scan into one (1) PDF document. Naming format MUST BE in the following order:1. instructor last name2. instructor first name3. school4. date of travel5. location6. emergency contact formsExample:doe john SOD 28aug2017 MAG emergency contact forms The trip agenda cover sheet, list of participants, and the PDF ofemergency contacts should be emailed together attached to a singleemail to [email protected] with the subject line: “Field Trip –instructors last name” Example:Field Trip-KingsburyAfter the trip(s), the emergency contact forms and any otherdocuments must be shredded.3

Overnight Field TripsComplete the process detailed below, and submit the following forms toCAD Student Services (7B-1075) at least one month prior to leadingan Overnight Field Trip. Unless otherwise noted, all forms can be foundat Field Trip cover sheet and detailed itinerary List of participating students (or class roster) with university ID numbers Original Emergency Contact forms for each participant,including faculty and staff The faculty or staff trip coordinator must keep a copy of allthe completed Emergency Contact forms to take with themon the field trip in case of an emergency.Completed Budget TemplateApprovalsFaculty or staff trip coordinators must fill out a CAD Travel Pre-Approval Form( in advance of travel, and indicate the datesand reason for travel. The traveler’s School Director or the Dean must sign thisform.BudgetTo determine the amount of funding needed for overnight field trips, thefaculty/staff trip coordinator must prepare a budget using the CAD FieldTrip/Domestic Travel Course Budget Template that can be found at this link: note that this template does not include predetermined formulas, andtherefore requires the trip leader to complete equations for figuring out totalcosts and cost per student depending on number of participants.Student expenses such as travel, lodging, group meals or other groupexperiences can either be incorporated into a Program Fee paid in advance bystudents OR paid for individually and independently by eachstudent enrolled.Prior to advertisement of the field trip or acceptance of any student deposits,the budget must be approved by the school administrative chair via an email4

indicating approval with budget template attached from the admin chair toClare Lagiewski, Assistant Dean of Financial Services [email protected] surplus funds remain at the completion of a trip, they must be used for courserelated projects that benefit participating students. Such surplus-contingentprojects should be incorporated into the original budget for the Travel Course.Refunds will not or will not be given to students in the case of surplus funds.Student DepositsIf the Dean’s Office will be accepting student deposits, email the following toCAD Dean’s office Senior Staff Assistant, Grace Gladney, at [email protected]:Completed Student Deposit Tracking ents must pay their deposits via their IDs using Tigerbucks. Neither checksnor cash will be accepted. Faculty/staff trip coordinators can visit the CAD Dean’soffice to check on student deposit status.5

TransportationIf traveling by air, the faculty member’s airline reservations should be made withTzell Travel Agency at (585) 663-8660, or another travel agency approved byRIT html). If students are flyingtogether with faculty member, and airfare is incorporated into trip fee,arrangements should be made through the same travel agency. Travelingtogether may qualify participants for group rates.Trips requiring the faculty/staff trip coordinator to use of rental cars should behandled in the following manner. The RIT faculty/staff member should rent thevehicle, not a student. Rental should be billed against the faculty or staff trip leader’s personalPNC travel card. This assures that RIT's Car Rental Loss Program willrespond should there be physical damage to the rental car during theterm of the loan. Students should not be allowed to drive the vehicle unless they have avalid RIT driver certification card and are listed with the car rental agencyas an additional driver. If the trip requires the use of a larger capacity vehicle or the rental of atruck, faculty or staff coordinator must contact the Risk ManagementOffice at (585) 475-6135 to discuss the details before making the rentalreservations. Any motor vehicle accident occurring during the trip should be reportedimmediately to RIT Public Safety at (585) 475-3333 and the CADStudentServices office (Deb Kingsbury, 585-503-4988).Group Expenses (entrance fees, train tickets, tours, etc.)Whenever possible, arrangements should be made thru Tzell for direct billing, orpaid for with a credit card prior to departure. The faculty/staff member can alsomake reservations and pay using one of the following: a school procurement cardor a personal PNC Corporate Travel Card. In all cases, the faculty member isresponsible for providing appropriate receipts.If payment in cash is the only option, costs can be either: Included in the student’s trip fee and paid for by the faculty member(who can secure a suitable cash advance in such cases).Receipts must be provided. (Recommended process.)OR Paid for individually by each student enrolled. In this case, the studentsmust be advised of this responsibility prior to departure, and informedof the amount of cash, and type of currency, they need to have available.6

Lodging Whenever possible, faculty or staff trip coordinator housing arrangementsshould be made through Tzell Travel Agency at (585) 663-8660, oranother agency approved by s.html. Whenever possible,housing arrangements for students should also be made through thesame travel agency. Lodging reservations can also be made directly by the faculty memberand paid for prior to departure via the school’s procurement card or a wiretransfer/check request.Wire Transfers/Check RequestsIn order to initiate a check request or wire transfer in support of a trip withstudents, faculty trip leaders must provide the following to their school’ssenior staff assistant: completed W--‐‑9 and New Vendor Supplier Set-up form if provideris new to RIT final itemized invoice from provider (no changes can be made in thisamount once check has been cut/wire transfer sent)HospitalityCIAS Faculty/staff who plan to entertain alumni or potential donors during travelwith students must include this as “hospitality” on their trip budget and receiveprior approval from their Administrative Chair. When alumni or donors areinvolved, Lisa Vasaturo, CAD Director of Alumni Relations, and Kat Bassney,CAD Director of Development should be notified.Faculty/staff trip coordinators must provide a detailed written rationale whensubmitting receipts for reimbursement for any hospitality expenditures. Thisrationale must clearly explain the specific purpose of such expenditures inrelationship to the research and/or educational mission of the trip. Namesand professional titles of all attendees must be included.The purchase of alcohol by faculty or staff during travel with students is stronglydiscouraged. No alcohol may be purchased or submitted as hospitalityif students are included as attendees at alumni events or meals. Thesole exception to this rule is an official alumni event at which drink tickets areprovided to attendees 21 years of age or older by sponsoring School and/orAlumni Relations.ReimbursementsFaculty and staff trip coordinators must work with their school’s Senior StaffAssistant in order to process the new online Travel Expense Report (TER)upon completion of travel. In addition to all itemized receipts, faculty or staff trip7

coordinators must provide a list of all participating students with UIDs, and acopy of the Field Trip Agenda to their Senior Staff Assistant.Please see the “Field Trip” section above for detailed information about: completing and submitting forms reporting Emergency situationsCash Advances, Meals, and Tax ExemptThe guidelines for cash advances, meals, and tax exempt documentationwhen traveling with students are similar to those for travelling individually,so please refer to the CAD Guideline Faculty and Staff Travel andReimbursement for complete policies-and-procedures/faculty-2/8

immediately to RIT Public Safety at (585) 475-3333 and the CADStudent Services office (Deb Kingsbury, 585-503-4988). Group Expenses (entrance fees, train tickets, tours, etc.) Whenever possible, arrangements should be made thru Tzell for direct billing, or paid for with a credit c