2019-2020FINANCIAL AID AWARD GUIDEDivision of Student Affairs

What You Need to Do toReceive Your Financial AidFollow the Steps Listed Below:1. Review the various financial aid program descriptions discussed inthis guide.2. Log on to the Student Center at My.CSUDH.EDU. Check your “To Do List” for any outstanding documents. Review your financial aid awards: If you are offered a studentloan, you must accept or decline your loan award(s) within 15days of your email notification to avoid cancellation. You are not required to accept the entire loan amount offered. Please note that any grant awards will be automatically acceptedon your behalf.3. Check your campus email account frequently for updates andinformation.How Your Financial Aid Is DeterminedThe information you submit on the Free Application for FederalStudent Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application is usedto determine your “financial need.” Your financial need is derivedsimply by subtracting the “parent and/or student contribution” fromthe cost of attendance.Example:Cost of AttendanceMinus Parent and/or Student Contribution (EFC)Financial Need 17,275– 3,000 14,275Estimated Budget/Cost of Attendance (COA)This is not your bill at CSUDH but an estimate of the total cost toattend the university. In most cases, the costs are based on a ninemonth budget. Components include: tuition fees (resident and/or nonresident), books and supplies, housing (commuter, on- oroff-campus), personal expenses and transportation costs. All ofthese figures are standardized as established by the CaliforniaState University Chancellor’s Office and the California Student AidCommission (CSAC).Expected Family Contribution (EFC)Your expected family contribution is the amount you and/or yourparents may be able to contribute toward your educational costs.The amount(s) listed for parent and/or student contributions reflectan estimated figure. This figure is computed using income and assetinformation submitted on the FAFSA. In certain cases, your EFC maybe adjusted (eg, loss of income).Changes in Expected Family ContributionIf you or your parent(s) anticipate a reduction in 2018 income, pleasecomplete and submit a 2019-2020 Income Adjustment AppealForm. This form may be printed from our website ResourcesThe following are considered additional resources other thanincome available to help meet your educational costs: vocationalrehabilitation benefits, scholarships (from a university departmentor an outside agency), AmeriCorps benefits, fee waivers,third-party payments, some veteran’s benefits and other formsof financial assistance.2Tell Us About Any Changes Will you receive or have you received any other awards and/orscholarships that do not appear on the Student Center page? Have any of your family members’ college enrollment planschanged from the information provided on the Free Applicationfor Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)? Has your marital status changed? Has your employment status changed (eg, reduced hours,loss of employment)?If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, please notifyus. If the new information changes your financial aid eligibility,we will send you an email to log on to the Student Center atMy.CSUDH.EDU to review your revised awards.Register for ClassesFinancial aid awards are based on full-time enrollment (12 units forundergraduate and credential students, and 8 units for master’sstudents). To receive the aid listed on your award, you must first beenrolled. If you enroll 3/4 time (9-11 units), your Federal Pell Grantwill be prorated to 75% of the award amount. If you enroll half-time,your Federal Pell Grant award will be prorated to 50% of the awardamount. Only the Federal Pell Grant is available for enrollment lessthan half-time (25%).Financial Aid Eligibility and Repeating ClassesStudents who failed a class may repeat the class once to receivea better grade and will be eligible for aid. For students who havepreviously passed a class and subsequently failed the same class,any additional attempt cannot be included in your enrollment statusfor determining aid eligibility.The Financial Aid Office will identify students who are repeating previously passed coursework and reduce their awards based on theadjusted enrollment status. Students will be notified on their campusemail (ToroMail) account and directed to the Student Center to viewtheir revised awards. Repeated classes may also count against Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), which must be taken into consideration when determining aid eligibility. Make sure to read the SAPpolicy on our website at for more information.How and When Financial Aid Is DisbursedFinancial aid awards will begin to be disbursed approximately 10days prior to the first day of classes of each semester. Before anyFederal Direct Loan funds can be disbursed, you must sign a MasterPromissory Note. Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 financial aid refunds arescheduled to be processed by Student Financial Services a few daysbefore the first week of classes. Students should expect to beginreceiving their refunds around the first day of classes. Fall semesterclasses begin on August 26, 2019, and spring semester classesbegin on January 21, 2020.Direct DepositCSUDH offers Direct Deposit as an option for receiving refunds.To ensure you receive your university refunds in a timely manner,please sign in to the Student Center at My.CSUDH.EDU. Sign in to My.CSUDH.EDU Click on the “Student Center” button Under “Finances” click on “Enroll In Direct Deposit”You should be prepared with information regarding your checkingor savings account, including the bank routing number and youraccount number. It is critical that you make sure the accountinformation you enter is accurate. If the information is not accurate,your refund will be delayed. A step-by-step guide is available t-financialservices/direct-deposit. If you do not wish to sign up fordirect deposit, you will receive a paper refund check sent toyour mailing address.

Financial aid will first pay tuition fees and on-campus housingcharges (if applicable). Financial aid in excess of the cost of tuitionfees and housing charges will be issued as a refund to you.Financial Aid ProgramsThe types of financial aid awards listed on your award are basedon full-time enrollment (12 units or more for undergraduate andcredential students, and 8 units for graduates in a classified master’sprogram). Based on the availability of funds, you may be offered oneor more of the types of assistance listed below.GrantsFederal Pell GrantThe Federal Pell Grant Program provides funds (which do not haveto be repaid) to eligible undergraduates and teaching credentialstudents who demonstrate need. The 2018-2019 full-time awardsrange from 652 to 6,095. According to federal regulations, theamount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over hisor her lifetime is limited to the equivalent of six years of full-timeenrollment. Students may check their Pell Grant eligibility onlineby logging on to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)Student Access website at Pell Grant Eligibility for TeachingCredential students pursuing their first teaching credential may beawarded a Federal Pell Grant. Students are eligible if they have beenaccepted into a classified postbaccalaureate program, have financialneed and are enrolled half-time (6 units) in courses that are requiredto receive a professional certification or licensing credential foremployment as a teacher in an elementary or secondary school. Thelifetime-limit rules apply as described above.Cal Grant ACal Grant A is awarded to California residents by the CaliforniaStudent Aid Commission (CSAC). This award is based on astudent’s grade point average and financial need, and intended toassist with tuition fees only. If you are a Cal Grant A recipient, youare not eligible for a State University Grant. The 2018-2019 tuitionfee is 5,742.**Cal Grant BCal Grant B is awarded to California residents by CSAC to assist withliving expenses (and, sometimes, university fees). The 2018-2019annual stipend for living expenses is 1,670. Freshman awards arelimited to non-fee college costs (eg, living expenses, books, suppliesand transportation). When renewed for sophomores, juniors andseniors, the Cal Grant B may also cover all or part of the tuition fees.All Cal Grant B recipients must complete, sign and return a Cal GrantB Subsistence Authorization Form to the Financial Aid Office beforeany funds can be credited to their student account. If you are a CalGrant B renewal recipient, you are not eligible for a State UniversityGrant.* Students who participate in the Older Adult Fee Waiver Program; receivevocational rehabilitation stipends; whose fees are paid by a third party;receive some veteran’s benefits and other fee-paying resource are NOTeligible to receive both the Cal Grant fee award and the fee-paying resource.Cal Grant Fund Disbursement Adjustment RulesIn accordance with the disbursement rules established by theCalifornia Student Aid Commission (CSAC), Cal Grant funds must beadjusted for students who enroll less than full-time (12 units).Federal SupplementalEducational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)FSEOG funds (which do not have to be repaid) are awarded toundergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financialneed and are eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant. The amount ofthis grant ranges from 400 to 800 per academic year.Teacher Education Assistance for Collegeand Higher Education (TEACH) GrantStudents who plan to become teachers may request this federalgrant (eligible programs only). Amounts will be prorated based onenrollment.Students must agree to teach for four (4) years as a Highly QualifiedTeacher at a Title I school within the first eight years of completingthe program.Students must also teach in a high-need field such as: Mathematics Science Foreign Languages Bilingual Education Special Education A Reading Specialist or other “high-need” field based on theapproved list found at are required to sign an Agreement to Serve (ATS) andcomplete TEACH Grant Counseling for each year the TEACH Grantis received. Failing to meet the service obligation will result in theTEACH Grant becoming an Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, andinterest will be accrued from the time the grant was first disbursedand will have to be repaid. To be considered for this program, youmust complete the TEACH Grant Request Form.3

CAL GRANT FUND DISBURSEMENT PER SEMESTERUnit EnrollmentEligibility PercentageTuition Fee Award AmountStipend Award Amount12 units100% 2,871 8359-11 units75% 2,153 6276-8 units50% 1,436 4181-5 unitsIneligible-0--0-These adjusted amounts rules apply to all programs—Cal Grant A, B and B-Stipend. For more detailed information about CSAC awards,visit the California Student Aid Commission online at CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to beincreased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after fees are initially charged or initial fee paymentsare made, to increase or modify any listed fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide fees, are subject to change without notice, untilthe date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject tochange upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide fees will bemade in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 - 66028.6of the Education Code).State University Grant (SUG)The SUG is awarded to students who submitted their FAFSA or California Dream Act Application by the March 2 deadline, submitted anyrequested documents by the May 9 deadline and who demonstrate financial need to assist with the payment of tuition fees only. Students mustmeet the following criteria: Be enrolled at least half-time in Tuition Fee-based units.Undergraduate students cannot have accumulated more than 150 semester units.Undergraduate transfer students cannot have accumulated more than 75 semester units at the CSU.Credential students cannot have accumulated more than 30 units.Master’s students cannot have accumulated more than 125% of their required units.PLEASE NOTE: Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, military credit,prebaccalaureate credit and credit by examination will not count against the SUG limitsStudents are not eligible for a State University Grant award if they are pursuing a second bachelor’s degree; participate in the Older Adult FeeWaiver Program; receive vocational rehabilitation stipends; are enrolled through Extended Education (Drug & Alcohol Certificate and DistanceLearning Programs: Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding [NCRP], Communication Sciences and Disorders [CSD], Master of SocialWork [MSW], Master of Science in Quality Assurance [MSQA], etc); are recipients of Cal Grant A or B or whose fees are paid by another party. TheState University Grant does not cover mandatory fees.Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) GrantEOP Grants are awarded to first- and second-year students who have been admitted to the Educational Opportunity Program. Studentsmust demonstrate financial need to qualify for this grant. Grants range from 400 to 800, depending on the financial need and the availabilityof funding.Middle Class Scholarship (MCS)Students must meet the following requirements: be a California resident; be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or have AB 540 student status;meet certain income/asset and other financial aid standards; maintain satisfactory academic progress; not be in default on a student loan; and,must not be incarcerated. Students whose families have income and assets up to 171,000 per year may be eligible for a scholarship of no lessthan 10% and no more than 40% of the mandatory system-wide tuition and fees. MCS scholarships are not set amounts and may vary by studentand institution. The award amount is determined after you are awarded any federal, state, and institutional need-based grants for which youare eligible. The final award amount will be based on the number of students eligible for the MCS statewide and the funding allocated by theState Budget.Student EmploymentFederal Work-Study (FWS) ProgramThe FWS Program provides funds to employ students (on- or off-campus) who qualify for financial aid. Students will be considered for an awardby having submitted their FAFSA by the March 2 deadline, having submitted any requested documents by the May 9 deadline and demonstratingfinancial need greater than 1,000. Also, the student must have indicated interest in the FWS Program on their FAFSA. A Federal Work-StudyAcceptance Letter will be mailed to the eligible student’s mailing address. Students must be enrolled at least half-time to be considered for thisprogram. Awards range from 1,000 to 4,000.The first day a student may begin working is Tuesday, September 3. The amount a student can earn is limited.Student AssistantStudents who do not have Federal Work-Study Program eligibility may be able to find employment on or near campus. Job listings are availableat You can also find employment opportunities by checking with on-campus departments.4

LoansCalifornia Dream Act Loan ProgramThe California Dream Act Loan Program is available to students who submitted their California Dream Act Application by the March 2 deadlineand meet certain qualifications. The award maximum is 4,000 annually. The 2018-2019 interest rate was 5.05%. The program is dependenton annual funding, as such, this is not an entitlement program and there is no guarantee of its availability in subsequent years.Federal Direct Loan ProgramThe Federal Direct Loan Program provides low-interest, long-term loans to assist in paying educational costs. These funds must be repaid.Funding for these loans comes from the U.S. Department of Education. These loans can be subsidized or unsubsidized. You should carefullyconsider borrowing only what you need.If you accept a Federal Direct Loan, you will receive a Disclosure Statement from the Department of Education.PLEASE NOTE: The Anticipated Disbursement date is NOT the date your Federal Direct Loan funds will be available to you. Financial aidawards are credited to your student account prior to the first week of classes to allow for processing of student refunds.To be eligible to borrow a Federal Direct Loan, you are required to: Be enrolled at least half-time (6 units undergraduate and 4 units [500 level] graduate). If you drop below half-time during a semester,the remainder of your loan may be canceled. Complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) by going to and logging in with your Federal Student AidIdentification (FSA ID). Complete a Loan Entrance Counseling session if you are a first-time borrower. Students may satisfy thisrequirement by completing an online session at If you have completed the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling andindicated another school, you can log on to and update your Entrance Counseling to include CSUDH.Federal Direct Loan EligibilityThe amount you may borrow is determined based on your grade level and program of study. We encourage students to monitor their loandebt by viewing their loan history at are not required to accept the entire loan amount offered. If you are planning to attend both the fall and spring semesters at leasthalf-time, the loan must be accepted for the award year.GRADE LEVELDEPENDENTINDEPENDENTFreshman 5,000 ( 3,500 maximum subsidized loan) 9,000 ( 3,500 maximum subsidized loan)Sophomore 6,500 ( 4,500 maximum subsidized loan) 10,500 ( 4,500 maximum subsidized loan)Junior/SeniorSecond Bachelor’s 7,500 ( 5,500 maximum subsidized loan) 12,500 ( 5,500 maximum subsidized loan)Credential Students 5,500 ( 5,500 maximum subsidized loan) 12,500 ( 5,500 maximum subsidized loan)Graduate Students(N/A) 20,500 (unsubsidized only) Maximum total aggregate amount of Federal Direct Loans allowed for undergraduates is 57,500 ( 31,000 dependent maximum),of which no more than 23,000 may be in subsidized funds. S eniors graduating in the fall semester are subject to proration of their Federal Direct Loan amount, based on the number of theirregistered units. This is a federal requirement. T otal maximum amount of Federal Direct Loans allowed for master’s degree students is 138,500, of which no more than 65,500 maybe in subsidized funds. All Direct Loans borrowed (including Direct Loans borrowed as an undergraduate and/or credential student) areincluded in the maximum borrowing limits for master’s students.You have the right to cancel all or a portion of your Federal Direct Loan. To do so, you must complete and submit a 2019-2020 AwardAdjustment Request Form to the Financial Aid Office within 14 days so that the funds may be returned to the appropriate federal program.Starting in June 2019 the form can be found online at Federal Direct LoanUndergraduate students can borrow the Subsidized Federal Direct Loan in the amount that is the difference between the cost of attendanceand resources (family contribution, financial aid and any other assistance received from the school and outside sources). However, studentscannot borrow more than the federal annual or aggregate maximum. The interest rate for new student borrowers between July 1, 2018 andJune 30, 2019 is 5.05%. This rate is subject to change every July 1. If eligible for a Subsidized Federal Direct Loan, the federal government paysthe interest for the student borrower until repayment begins. Borrowers will be assessed an origination fee—this charge does not reduce theamount required to be repaid.5

Unsubsidized Federal Direct LoanThe Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan is awarded to undergraduateand graduate students. Interest will be charged beginning the day theloan is disbursed. Repayment normally begins six months followinggraduation or when the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least halftime. The amount and the length of the repayment period depend onthe size of the debt, but it must be a minimum of 600 per year.For undergraduates, the unsubsidized loan can replace all or partof the family contribution. However, the amount of the loan cannotbe more than the difference between the student’s budget andany financial assistance received from the school plus any outsidesource (including the Subsidized Federal Direct Loan) nor exceedthe federal annual or aggregate maximum. Undergraduateunsubsidized loans for 2018-2019 had an interest rate of 5.05%.*Graduate students are only eligible to borrow the unsubsidized loan.The interest rate for graduate unsubsidized loans is 6.60%.*Federal Direct PLUS LoansDirect Parent LoanParent (PLUS) Loans are intended to provide a source of financialassistance to parents of dependent students. Parents (with satisfactorycredit histories) may borrow up to the cost of attendance each year,minus any financial aid awarded to the student. Interest begins toaccrue immediately after the first disbursement. Repayment beginsimmediately after the final disbursement of the loan occurs, with thefirst payment due within 60 days. The fixed-interest rate for 2018-2019was 7.60%.*If you are a dependent student and your parent does not qualifyfor a PLUS Loan, you may be eligible to borrow an additionalUnsubsidized Federal Direct Loan. The PLUS Loan parent must logon to, select “Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan,” select“Parent PLUS” and complete the application.If approved, the parent must complete the Master PromissoryNote for Parent PLUS Loans online at After receiving a credit decision, complete and submit theFederal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Request Form along with acopy of your parent’s valid government-issued identificationcard (eg, driver’s license, California identification card, etc.) tothe CSUDH Financial Aid Office.GRADE LEVELREQUIREDCSUDH GPADoctoral, Master’sCredential/Second Bachelor’s3.02.5Undergraduates:Junior/Senior (60 units)Sophomore (30-59 units)Freshman (0-29 units) of 75% of Attempted UnitsWith Passing GradesStudents must complete at least 75% of the units attempted with apassing grade.Passing grades: A, B, C, D, I, CR or RP.Non-passing grades: F, IC, NC, W, WU, RD and AUFor example, a student who enrolls in 12 units for a semestermust complete at least 9 units (12 x .75 9). Non-passing gradeswill lower a student’s completion rate. For further information ongrades and grading policies, consult the University Catalog.Eligibility Limit – Unit CapStudents must complete their program within 150% of their program’srequired units. For example, a student in a 120-unit program mustreceive his/her degree within 180 units. All graded coursework will becounted, including transfer units, repeats and withdrawals. Up to 30remedial units may be excluded.Financial Aid WarningStudents will be placed on warning status (can receive aid) the nextsemester they enroll if the completion rate of attempted units intheir prior semester falls between 50% and 74%. Only one term ofwarning status is permitted.Financial Aid DisqualificationGraduate PLUS Loans for Graduate StudentsThe Graduate PLUS Loan is a credit-based loan. The interest ratefor 2018-2019 was fixed at 7.60%* and has an in-school defermentprovision for students while in school. The Graduate PLUS LoanApplication is available on our websiteStudents will become disqualified from receiving financial aid if anyof the following applies: Student completes fewer than 50% of their attempted units withpassing grades in any semester. Student fails to complete their program within 150% of theirprogram-required units. CSUDH GPA falls below the specified minimum GPA requirement.* PLEASE NOTE: Interest rates are set by federal legislation and aresubject to change.Financial Aid SAP AppealSatisfactory AcademicProgressSatisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)CSUDH is required by federal law to establish, publish andapply reasonable standards for measuring whether a studentis maintaining SAP toward a degree objective, and to ensureprogress toward the degree for all periods of enrollment, whetheror not the student has received financial aid. These standardsare applicable to all financial aid recipients at CSUDH and affecteligibility for all federal and state aid, including grants, studentloans and work-study. Students may review their SAP status onthe Student Center at My.CSUDH.EDU by clicking on “View AcadProgress (SAP)” and selecting the appropriate term. A review willoccur at the end of each semester.6Students who become disqualified from receiving financial aidwill be notified on their toroMail account and will be providedinstructions on the financial aid appeal process. Appeals will beevaluated based on the student’s extenuating circumstances.Students are notified of the deadline for submitting a SatisfactoryAcademic Progress (SAP) appeal in their ToroMail account. Duringthe processing of an SAP appeal, students are responsible forthe payment of their tuition fees. Students will receive an emailregarding the outcome of the SAP Appeal.If an SAP appeal is approved, students will be placed on a FinancialAid Academic Plan which will establish the conditions that a studentmust meet for continued eligibility. Students are notified of thespecific conditions via their toroMail account. At the end of thesemester, the Financial Aid Office will review whether or not thespecific conditions for continued aid eligibility have been met. Ifthe specified conditions are not met, the student is ineligible forcontinued aid and is not eligible to submit a SAP appeal.THIS DECISION IS FINAL AND CANNOT BE APPEALED.

Regaining EligibilityEnrollment in Summer Session CoursesStudents who are disqualified due to low GPA or low unit completionmay regain financial aid eligibility once they achieve the requiredGPA or unit completion, as long as they have not completed morethan 150% of their program requirements. Undergraduate studentswho are disqualified due to exceeding 150% of the required units fortheir program may regain eligibility after they become a master’s orcredential student after their bachelor’s degree is posted. Studentswho meet this condition before the spring semester may submita SAP Appeal Form to request reinstatement of their eligibility;otherwise, progress will be reviewed after spring semester gradeshave posted.Students interested in enrolling for the summer 2020 term whowould like to be considered for financial aid must complete andsubmit a Summer Financial Aid Request Form. Beginning mid-March2020, students may print this form from our website, located Session Attendees: There may be a delay of 1 to 2 weeks indisbursing fall 2020 financial aid for students that attend the summer2020 session. We are required to conduct a review of summer gradesto determine continued financial aid eligibility. Students deemedineligible will be notified of their status via their toroMail account.Short-Term Emergency LoansShort-Term Emergency Loans are available to assist students withunexpected expenses. The maximum loan a student may borrow is 400. Students must be admitted to the university, be enrolled atleast half-time for the semester and have not received a financialaid refund within 30 days. The loan is due and payable within 30calendar days and does not accrue any interest. See the FinancialAid Office for more information on the application process.Withdrawal/Leave of AbsenceSpecial TopicsCourses Taken at Another InstitutionIf you plan to enroll concurrently at a community college and withto have units attempted count towards your Federal Pell Granteligibility, you must meet the following criteria: Be enrolled at least half-time at CSUDH; Enroll for the majority of your units at CSUDH; Not have transferred 70 units or more; and Complete and submit a Transfer Unit(s) Verification Form withproof that you are enrolled for the semester.Please note: The University Advisement Center will determine ifcourses taken elsewhere will be transferable toward your degree atCSUDH.Students considering CSU Intra-system Concurrent or VisitorEnrollment should visit Please refer tothe University Catalog for more information about visitor, concurrent,and cross enrollment.Remember to:1. Order an official academic transcript from the institution which youattended to be sent to the CSUDH Admissions & Records Office.2. Go to the CSUDH Admissions & Records Office andrequest that your admission record be re-evaluated withyour academic transcript.Enrollment in Winter Session CoursesThe College of Extended & International Education will allowstudents to enroll in the winter session and defer their paymentpending spring 2020 financial aid. However, by using this deferment,please note that your spring 2020 financial aid will be reduced bythe amount used to pay winter session fees. Students placed on afinancial aid academic plan for not meeting the SAP requirementsare not eligible for this deferment. If a student does not meetthe SAP standards at the end of the fall semester, they will beresponsible for the payment of the winter session fees from theirown resources.Enrollment in Spring Intersession CoursesStudents must be enrolled in all courses including SpringIntersession by the published census date (which can be found onthe Academic Calendar). Students that wait to enroll and/or addclasses for the after the published

Financial Aid Programs. The types of financial aid awards listed on your award are based on full-time enrollment (12 units or more for undergraduate and credential students, and 8 units for graduates in a classified master’s program). Based on the availability of funds, you may be offere